Table of Contents
Dreaming of starting a lucrative financial services company in India? Look no further than a Nidhi company!
Nidhi companies are mutual benefit companies specifically designed to encourage savings and lending activities among their members. With relatively simple registration requirements, flexible operations, and bonuses like tax benefits, Nidhi companies offer serious profit potential for savvy entrepreneurs.
This extensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know to make your Nidhi company wildly successful, from understanding regulations to expert tips for maximizing profits. Let’s get started!
What is a Nidhi Company?
A Nidhi company is a type of Indian non-banking finance company (NBFC) that is registered under Section 406 of the Companies Act, 2013. The main purpose of a Nidhi company is to cultivate the habit of thrift and savings amongst its members.
Nidhi companies can provide their members loans and allow them to deposit money, but all transactions must take place only between members. They are not allowed to deal with non-members. The deposits mobilized by Nidhi companies are their main source of funds.
The name of a Nidhi company must end with “Nidhi Limited”. They are regulated by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs and the Reserve Bank of India.
Rules and Regulations for Nidhi Companies
While Nidhi companies are subject to fewer regulations than other NBFCs, there are still important rules they must follow:
- Must have at least 7 members and 3 directors
- Minimum paid up equity share capital must be Rs. 5 lakhs
- Net owned funds should be at least Rs.10 lakhs
- Unencumbered deposits must be at least 10% of outstanding deposits
- Ratio of net owned funds to deposits cannot exceed 1:20
- Cannot engage in activities like hire-purchase, insurance or chit funds
Nidhi companies have restrictions on the deposits they can accept:
- Cannot accept deposits over 20% of their net owned funds
- Fixed deposits can be accepted for 6 months to 5 years
- Recurring deposits for minimum 1 year and maximum 5 years
- Interest rate cannot exceed rates offered by nationalized banks by more than 2%
- Can open branches only after 3 years of profitability
- Can initially open up to 3 branches within the district
- Further branches allowed only after filing balance sheet with Registrar
- Loans up to Rs.2 lakhs allowed if deposits are Rs.2 crores
- Loans up to Rs.7.5 lakhs allowed if deposits are between Rs.2-20 crores
- Loans up to Rs.12 lakhs allowed if deposits are between Rs.20-50 crores
- Loans up to Rs.15 lakhs allowed if deposits exceed Rs.50 crores
Key Facts About Nidhi Companies
- No RBI approval required, easier to register
- Must include “Nidhi Limited” in name
- Regulated by RBI due to NBFC-like activities
- Transactions only between members for safety
- Locker facilities rental income capped at 20%
Benefits of Starting a Nidhi Company
- Simple registration process
- Exempt from RBI compliance
- Lower risk as transactions only between members
- Cost-effective registration
- Promotes savings culture
- Allows net owned funding for growth
Required Documents for Registration
- Digital Signature Certificates (DSC)
- Directors Identification Numbers (DIN)
- PAN cards of directors and members
- Address proof of directors and members
- Photographs of directors
- Registered office address proof
- NOC if required
- Memorandum of Association (MOA)
- Articles of Association (AOA)
Step-by-Step Registration Process
- Obtain DSC and DIN for all directors
- Apply for approval of 3 unique names with MCA
- File registration application with MOA and AOA
- Receive incorporation certificate and CIN in 15-20 days
Fulfilling Conditions for Incorporation
To successfully register and operate a Nidhi company, some conditions must be met:
- Minimum 7 members with 3 directors
- Minimum equity share capital of Rs.5 lakhs
- Limited company status under Companies Act, 2013
- MOA must state objectives relating to thrift and savings
- Adhere to all rules and regulations for Nidhi companies
Expert Tips to Maximize Profits
Here are some pro tips to boost your Nidhi company’s profitability:
- Leverage digital marketing and social media to attract members
- Offer competitive interest rates on deposits
- Maintain excellent customer service and transparency
- Expand branches aggressively once eligible
- Keep debt recovery processes streamlined
- Utilize fintech to automate and streamline operations
- Hire experienced professionals in banking, finance and management
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is a Nidhi company different from an NBFC?
A: Nidhi companies are a specialized form of NBFC but are exempted from RBI regulations that govern other NBFCs. They have more flexibility in operations and regulatory compliance.
Q: What is the minimum capital required?
A: The minimum paid-up equity capital for a Nidhi company is Rs.5 lakhs. The minimum net owned funds should be Rs.10 lakhs.
Q: Can anyone become a member?
A: No, only individuals who satisfy a Nidhi company’s membership criteria can be admitted as members. Membership is not open to companies, trusts etc.
Q: What is the process to apply for membership?
A: You need to submit the membership application form along with identity and address proof to the Nidhi company. Membership is at the discretion of the company.
Q: How fast can loans be disbursed?
A: Loan disbursal times depend on the Nidhi company, but well-run Nidhi companies strive to disburse loans to members within a few working days.
Starting a Nidhi company offers lucrative opportunities for entrepreneurs looking to enter India’s thriving NBFC sector. By following RBI regulations, leveraging technology, hiring professionals, and acquiring members aggressively, your Nidhi company can become highly profitable.
This guide covers everything from understanding Nidhi company rules to expert tips for growth. So polish your business plan and get ready to enjoy the fruits of running a successful Nidhi enterprise!
To make the registration process seamless, trust the experts at FilingWala. They have helped hundreds of businesses successfully start Nidhi companies with their end-to-end services. Give their advisors a call today to clarify any questions and get your profitable Nidhi company up and running!